Traditional caesar salads are often smothered with a creamy and oily dressing but this one is made from eczema-friendly ingredients and proves that caesar salads can still be delicious, crunchy and tasty while being fresh and healthy as well.
This salad makes for a lovely lunch or a light dinner and can be altered to be vegan or vegetarian, paleo or gluten-free.
- Omit the bread to make it Paleo.
- Swap the chicken for chickpeas to make it vegan.
- If you are sensitive to cashews or nuts omit the dressing.
- To make the recipe low in salicylates swap the cos lettuce for low sal iceberg lettuce.
The health benefits
Raw cashews are rich in important skin minerals including manganese, magnesium, zinc and copper.
Chicken is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids which is essential for healthy skin.
Eczema Detox Caesar Salad
- Bring a kettle of water to the boil to soak 1 cup of cashews for the cashew cream.
- Chop chives and crush garlic (if using fresh garlic) and set aside. These will be used to flavour the cashew cream.
- Gently wash the baby cos and slice in half lengthwise, set aside.
- Drain the soaking cashews and make the cashew cream by blending them with 1/2 cup filtered water and some sea salt to taste (up to 1/4 tsp) in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy. Once smooth, add in garlic and chives and pulse until just combined. Taste and adjust if needed. Set aside
- The bread of choice can be toasted and sliced into croutons, or as per the photo, you can lightly pulse in a high-speed blender to create course bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Place a medium-sized pan on moderate heat and add a teaspoon of oil or 1 tablespoon of water (if you prefer to use no oil). Place the chicken tenderloins in the pan side by side and cook on either side until lightly browned on the outside and cooked through (this will take about 7-10 minutes). A lid can be placed over the pan to aid the cooking process if needed.
- Remove the chicken and place on a board or plate. If you wish to lightly brown the lettuce (as pictured), rinse out the pan, place back on the medium heat with a dash of maple syrup and place the cos lettuce (cut side down) in the pan to lightly brown.
- Once all the lettuce is lightly charred place on a serving plate of choice, Slice the chicken tenderloins and decorate around the lettuce.