It's nearly Easter so I thought Carrot Cake would be a good recipe to revisit. I adapted this recipe from the carrot cake recipe from The Healthy Skin Diet, which I used to make all the time.
If you are following our books: This recipe is suitable for The Eczema Detox Program or The Eczema Diet, but not the FID Program (during weeks 1-4).
To make this recipe gluten-free: use gluten free self raising flour instead of spelt... If using gluten-free self-raising flour, omit the baking powder from the recipe.
To make an egg substitute: use 2 tablespoons of finely ground flaxseeds and 4 tablespoons of water, mix together and allow 10 minutes for it to thicken.
Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking Time: 30 minutes, Makes 6 large or 10 medium sized cupcakes
- 2 cups plain spelt flour
- 2/3 cup maple sugar (if you can't find it, use soft brown sugar or 1/4 cup real maple syrup, or omit the sweetener)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of quality sea salt
- 1/3 cup rice bran oil
- 2 free range or organic eggs, lightly beaten (or egg substitute)
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla essence (optional)
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 2 cups grated peeled pear
- 2-3 tablespoons water (if necessary)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced) or 350°F and line a cupcake tray with paper liners or alternatively grease the tray with rice bran oil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the oil, eggs and vanilla and beat well until smooth.
- Add the carrot and pear, and if the mixture is too thick to stir easily, add water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Mix well, then pour into the cupcake baking cups (patty pans).
- Cook on the lower shelf in the oven for about 30 minutes, checking to see when cooked from 20 minutes onwards. Test with a skewer.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing the cake from the dish.
- Store refrigerated in a sealed container.
- Allow the cupcakes to completely cool before adding frosting, or enjoy these without icing.
Cooking/food prep. by Katie Layland; Photography & styling by Karen Fischer.