Karen Fischer's BIO
Former Australian TV presenter and registered nutritionist Karen Fischer is the author of six books including The Eczema Detox.
Karen has a Bachelor of Health Science Degree (University of New England, Australia) and a Diploma of Nutrition (Nature Care College) and has a special interest in nutritional biochemistry. She also has an Advanced Diploma of Business.
Karen is an avid (novice) photographer and food stylist for her own cookbooks. She also loves yoga, restores/makes furniture in her spare time and collects vintage items that need a home. She wears a hat every day because it makes her smile.
Karen has two wonderful, sensitive children who both previously suffered from food intolerances. Her eldest child, Ayva, no longer has eczema and she happily eats whatever she likes (including avocado which is her favourite).
- The Healthy Skin Diet (Exisle Publishing), 2008
- Don’t Tell Them It’s Healthy (Health Before Beauty), 2008
- The Eczema Diet (Exisle Publishing), second edition in 2014
- Healthy Family, Happy Family (Exisle Publishing)
- Younger Skin in 28 Days (Exisle Publishing)
- The Eczema Detox (Exisle Publishing), 2018
The Healthy Skin Diet was awarded ‘Best Health, Nutrition or Specific Diet Book’ at the Australian Food Media Awards in 2008.
Karen is a registered member of The International Institute for Complementary Therapists (IICT).
Magazines, TV work (and other)
The following is a sample of Karen's previous features in magazines and on radio and TV in Australia, UK, NZ and America.
- Guest nutritionist on The Morning Show, with David and Sonia, Nine Network (2018)
- ABC Radio interviews for The Eczema Detox, nationwide in Australia (2018)
- Interview on prime-time 7 News 'Breakthrough diet for eczema' (2017)
- Guest appearances on Sky News, Sunrise, The Morning Show, 9am with David and Kim, A Current Affair, and Today Tonight.
- Feature articles in Marie Claire USA and Miabella USA
- ‘Shape up for spring’, Sun-Herald ‘S’ liftout
- ‘The 3 Day Cleanse’, Sunday Telegraph’s Body+Soul liftout
- ‘Eating to Stop Eczema’, Practical Parenting magazine
- ‘Improve Your Bottom Line’, Madison magazine
- ‘Eat your way to great skin’, Sun-Herald, ‘S’ liftout
- Monthly health column in Cosmopolitan Magazine (2006 -2007)
- TV Appearances on Sky News – discussed ways to tackle childhood obesity and Karen's book 'Don't Tell Them It's Healthy'
- Guest Speaker at the Marie Claire Confidence Seminar
- Teen Health Education Program – health presentations at schools
- The resident nutritionist/health expert on Mums & Bubs (Channel 7)
- Guest on Pilates TV (DVD). Q&A on health and nutrition
- Guest on Yoga TV (Foxtel) - Discussed a health topic/new health website
- Launched health website healthbeforebeauty.com (2001)
- Nutrition & lifestyle TV segments on The Cover (Foxtel) (2001)
- Guest co-host on Hey Hey It’s Saturday with Daryl Sommers (Nine Network) (1999, Karen filled in for Livinia Nixon).
- TV presenter for the Nine Network, What's Up Doc? (1997-2000)
- Previous work modelling with Chadwicks in Sydney and Why Not in Milan.